1/21/2011

Thrifty Thursday Tip #3


I have a relatively new car. Okay, new to me. My last vehicle died a slow death so to end up with something that actually worked, and wasn't stick shift was wonderful! Here's a story to tell you a little bit about my car...

So, I went to a local retail store, and realized I was incredibly thirsty when I got there. I stopped at the little in-store restaurant, and picked up a soda. After leaving the store, I put the cup in my cup holders. Now, I forgot to bring it in with me, and the next day I go out to my car and the 1/2 full cup of soda had leaked out of the bottom of the paper cup!!! No big deal, right? Just wipe the area down. WRONG. My cup holders sit right above my shifting unit. Every last drop of that pop seeped into the area where I shift.

I could barely shift that morning, or any subsqeuent mornings when my car was cold, but by mid-day it was better because the sticky pop had warmed up. I really didn't want to take it to the dealership because I knew they'd charge me too much. I decided to take it upon myself, and Googled. I came across an article that suggested using rubbing alcohol to fix the shifting unit. I went to the store, and bought a big bottle of it, and decided to give it a whirl. It makes complete sense. The alcohol eats away the sugar. And I wasn't too concerned that it would hurt that area of my car because of how quickly alcohol evaporates.

I poured it down the shifting unit, and shifted back and forth several times. It was a night and day difference! I tried it a few more times later in the week because there were still some sticky areas. Now, it's completely fixed! And it only cost me a little time, and a few dollars!

Do you have a thrifty car tip?
Please feel free to share it below!

P.S. I am no car expert, and I don't endorse this fix by any means. I just know it worked for my purposes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...