2/24/2011

Thrifty Thursday Tip #5

Have you been wanting a new piece of furniture? Say, a new couch, or dining room table? I did. Let me tell you about our "old couch" before I tell you about my frugal deal. Both our couch & love seat are hand-me-downs. Don't get me wrong. I'd take a gently used item over paying full price for a new item any day. I don't mind that the item has been used as long as it is in good shape. Well, our couch is probably 10+ years old. And when you sit on the middle cushion you sink in because it has structurally fallen apart there. And it is a narrow couch. There is no way both Mr. Frugal and I can sit/lay on it together comfortably. So we would take turns using the couch when we watched movies. Oh, AND Mr. Frugal is 6'2'', and his legs hang off the edge of the couch. Not fun. Well, we ended up scoring a GREAT deal on furniture. A couple of friends of ours just got married. They're moving out of state, and were trying to sell their furniture on Craiglist. I inquired about the price, and they were selling the oversized chair w/ ottoman, and couch for $150! It was a no brainer! The items are gently used, but structurally they are in great shape! I plan to buy some colorful small pillows, and a new throw to spruce up the set. I will probably spend $25 on those. So, for $175 total, I picked up a 7' long couch that Mr. Frugal and I can both lay on for movie time, and an over-sized chair that I call his "man chair."


Tip #5:
Check Craigslist, Friends/Family, or Garage Sales for great deals on gently used furniture! Never pay full price!!!


What have you purchased 2nd hand?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...