4/16/2011

Couponing: Where to Start?

#1

This post, along with others will be excerpts from my "Conscious Spending" class I taught about a year ago. These articles are put together to help beginner's understand the sometimes overwhelming world of couponing. Please feel free to leave questions, or comments & I will get back to them as soon as I'm able.


Why Coupon?

-Help you make conscious decisions when you shop.

-Frees up money for other purchases.

-Allows you to stock up on necessities inexpensively.

-Decreases impulse buying.


Where to Start?

-Obtain Coupon Inserts as affordably as possible.
  • Ask your friends, co-workers, and family for their inserts.
  • Check local coffee shops, and fast-food chains.
  • Check the library.
  • Go to your local recycling center.
  • Purchase multiple sets at your local gas station or grocery store.

I purchase 5 papers every Sunday. In some cases, I will purchase 10. The reason I do this is so I'll have multiple sets of the same coupon. And the newspaper cost seems excessive at first, but my overall savings outweighs the amount I spent on the paper.

Let me give an example:

Crest Toothpaste is on sale at my local grocery store for $1.00. I purchased 5 Sunday newspapers, and therefore have 5 coupons for .50 off Crest. My store doubles coupons so my .50 off coupon actually becomes $1.00 off. I buy 5 toothpastes during my shopping trip, and use all 5 coupons = 5 tubes of toothpaste for FREE.


Next Steps...Getting Organized & Learning the Ropes.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...