2/08/2011

How Much Do You Spend on Magazines?


Have you ever grabbed a magazine while standing in line at the grocery store? If so, did you add it to your transaction because you wanted NEEDED to finish that article you were reading? How many of you buy a magazine to take with you on the airplane, or on a road trip?

Let me tell you a story...
-----------
I used to buy magazines constantly. Whether I was buying one to pass the time on a road trip, or just because I wanted to buy something for myself while I was picking up groceries. I HAD to have the most recent issues. The problem with that lovely habit I had was that some of those magazines can run almost $5 a piece. Now, flash forward to my couponing days. I became very frugal and refused to buy anything without a coupon. I knew there had to be another way I could enjoy my magazines without wasting my dollars. I was visiting Amazon.com to shop for Christmas Gifts and noticed they carried magazines. Boy was I surprised at the prices listed for a full year subscription.

Here are a couple on the site right now:
Better Homes & Gardens, 1 year - $5.99
Fitness, 1 year - $5.99

Now, don't let the "1-year auto-renewal" part of those prices scare you. Why? Because right after you buy your magazine you can go into your account profile and cancel the auto subscription. A couple of clicks, and that's it. They will not charge you again when your year is up. If you don't like Amazon, another site I like is BestDealMagazines.com. Right now they have Seventeen, Shape, Woman's Day, and Parents, 1 year subscriptions for $4.69. Annnnd, occasionally companies give out free subscriptions. Last year I was able to get a full year of Golf Magazine completely free! So keep your eyes peeled for those free offers.

Right now we have 4 subscriptions coming to the house, and they were either from free offers, or I paid for them using my Amazon Gift Cards I earned for using SwagBucks. Or if we did spend money, it was less than $5! If we know we have a trip coming up we will let our magazines pile up so we have something to read, and we save money by reading those instead of buying new ones at the grocery store.

How much do you spend on magazines?
Would you consider buying a subscription now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...